General Conditions of Play
These are general Conditions of Play relating to competitions of the Q.L.B.F. as described below. It should be noted that no set of rules can cover every possible situation, and therefore common sense and good sportsmanship should prevail at all times.
1) All competitions shall be conducted under W.B.B. rules as adopted by the Q.L.B.F
2) To be eligible to play in Q.L.B.F. events, a bowler shall:
a) be a playing member in good standing of a club registered with Q.L.B.F.
b) have his or her principal residence in the Province of Quebec as of January 1st of the year of the scheduled event(s).
3) A bowler may not represent more than one club in any one competition
4 )a) The Provincial and Federation Championships, as well as the Atlantic Bowls Tournament and Governor General/Rose Bowl shall be open competitions.
b) The team format shall be clearly indicated on the sign-up sheets made available to the Club Matches prior to the beginning of the season.
c) To ease the substitution problem, Teams will be allowed to submit five (5) names in Fours Competitions and four (4) names in Triples Competitions. The extra named substitute player will be considered part of that Team and will be eligible to play in any position required on that Team but will not be allowed to substitute for any other Team in the Tournament. Substitutes other than those named in this article will be governed by article 7
NOTE:- All team members must be declared when the application for entry to the competition is lodged.
5) Two trial ends may be played prior to each game. Unless stipulated otherwise in the playdown draw sheet, two bowls per end may be played by each player in a Fours game, three bowls by each player in a Triples game and four bowls per player may be played in a Pairs or Singles game. The Single re-spot rule will apply for all burnt ends.
6) All matches shall be played on the day and at the time and venue stated on the draw sheet, except where a postponement is declared by the Director(s) of the Match Committee because of bad weather or other circumstances beyond the control of the Federation. Any Singles bowler or team unable to compete for any reason, causing the match to be cancelled, must contact the appropriate Federation Match Committee Director, not the opposition. All players must arrive at the venue by the time stipulated for start of play even if only to be informed officially of the forfeit, unless previously advised by the appropriate Match Committee Director. Teams not ready to play within twenty (20) minutes of the scheduled start of play shall forfeit the game.
NOTE: Failure to comply with the provisions of this Rule will result in the offending player or team being reported to the Emergency Committee which may apply sanctions up to and including exclusion from all Federation sponsored events for the remainder of the playing season.
7) a) Substitution of one or more players in any team other than those mentioned in Article 4c (one in Pairs and Triples and a maximum of two in Fours) shall only be permitted following an application to and approval by the Director of the appropriate Match Committee. The application must be made by the team concerned and shall state the unforeseen circumstances and give valid reasons for the proposed substitution(s) including the name of the player(s) concerned. Should the Director of the appropriate Match Committee decline to endorse the application, the requirements of Rule 6 of The General Conditions of Play shall apply.
b) Substitutes may play in any position other than skip.
c) Substitutes cannot be from a team already eliminated from the same competition.
d) An individual having played as a substitute for one team may not play as substitute for any other team in the same competition.
NOTE:- A player missing two games is no longer a member of the team. The substitute player who replaced those 2 games now becomes a member of that Team.
8) There shall be an Emergency Committee consisting of the President, the Officiating Director and the two Match Committee Directors. Each of these members of the Committee shall appoint a qualified substitute replacement whenever he or she is unavailable or is ineligible because of personal involvement with the subject under consideration.
9) Non-compliance with the published Dress Code shall cause the offending player in singles competition, or his/her team in other competitions, to forfeit the match to the opposition. The acceptability of any, or all, elements of dress in relation to published requirements shall be governed by the judgement of the Emergency Committee.
10) If, due to inclement weather or other unforeseen circumstances, it should become unlikely that a match or competition can be completed in the allotted time, the Emergency Committee shall have the authority to shorten the length of matches, to rearrange starting times and to take any other necessary measures to complete the match or competition.
11) a) In Federation or Provincial Play, the Umpires decision shall be final in respect of any breach of Law of the Game except that questions relating to the meaning or interpretation of any Law may be referred to and shall be dealt with by the Provincial Officiating Committee (composed of the two Match Directors & Officiating Director).
b) No bowler affected by these decisions shall take any part in the deliberations of the Committee.
12) a) Participants in Provincial playdowns will not be obliged to participate in the National Championships of the same year. The winning participants will be entitled to the winner’s trophy and pins and will have the option of going or not going to the Nationals that year. If the winner refuses then the runner-up will have the option and so forth down the line until someone accepts or all refuse. Participants must make their intentions known before the end of the Tournament. Only players or teams who participated in the playdowns will be entitled to be designated as Provincial Champs. After playdowns those designated as Provincial Champions shall represent Quebec at the Canadian National Championships. In the case of a Provincial Singles Champion being unable to play, the Runner-up shall be called upon to substitute If one Provincial Champion is unable to play in the Pairs or Triples and one or two Provincial Champion(s) is(are) unable to play in the Fours, they may be replaced by any Federation Bowler(s) selected by the team.
b) Any individual or team having been designated Provincial Champion in a Tournament leading to participation in the Canada Bowls Championship Event for a given calendar year, shall not be eligible to participate in any other Provincial Championship Event leading to the Canada Bowls Championship Event of that same year.
13) The joint winners, or where appropriate the winners and runners-up, of the Governor-Generals/Rose Bowl Tournaments and Atlantic Bowls Tournament shall represent Quebec in the Inter-Provincial Finals. If, due to unforeseen circumstances, a team member (or members) is(are) unable to compete,he/she/they may be replaced by any Federation Bowler(s) selected by the team (substituting as per article 12).
14) Entry to the Men’s Novice Fours Competition and to the Women’s Novice Fours Competition is restricted to bowlers having not more than five years bowling experience.
15) Entry to the Men’s Novice Singles Competition and to the Women’s Novice Singles Competition is restricted to bowlers having not more than three years bowling experience.
16) The Officiating Director shall assign at least one Umpire to each venue at which Q.L.B.F. Events are taking place (other than Inter-Club Games). Umpires must obey the Dress Code.
A. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT PARTICIPANTS IN PROVINCIAL DRAWS MAY BE REQUIRED TO PLAY THREE (3) GAMES IN A DAY. THE NUMBER OF ENTRIES AND WEATHER CONDITIONS WILL INFLUENCE THIS.
B. PARTICIPANTS IN FEDERATION AND PROVINCIAL EVENTS MUST BE PREPARED TO BOWL MORE DAYS THAN INITIALLY STIPULATED SHOULD THE NUMBER OF ENTRIES OR WEATHER CONDITIONS SO DEMAND.
C. IN THE SPIRIT OF GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP, NO COMPETITOR(S) SHALL ENTER A FEDERATION INTER-PROVINCE SPONSORED QUALIFYING EVENT WITH THE KNOWLEDGE THAT HE/SHE/THEY WILL BE UNABLE TO FULFILL THE COMMITMENT OF PARTICIPATING IN THE NEXT PHASE, I.E. THE GOVERNOR GENERAL/ROSE BOWL, OR THE ATLANTIC BOWLS TOURNAMENT
CLUB MATCHES PLEASE NOTE
PROPERLY ATTIRED MARKERS FOR SINGLES GAMES MUST BE SUPPLIED BY THE CLUB ON WHOSE GREEN(S) THE GAMES ARE PLAYED.PROPERLY ATTIRED MARKERS FOR SINGLES GAMES MUST BE SUPPLIED BY THE CLUB ON WHOSE GREEN(S) THE GAMES ARE PLAYED.